Re: Database synchronization - München

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 13 Feb 2003 02:44:33 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E4B4A16.B57DBEF3_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Thomas wrote:
>
> > I have one production database and one identical database (structure)
> > on a different network.
> >
> > Each night, I need track the changes (insertions) that have taken
> > place on the production database and then affect them on the offline
> > system. Note that content of the online system that is old gets
> > deleted whereas on the offline system, it sticks around forever: I am
> > just tracking the inserts.
> >
> > exporting the database to a file would be a possibility if it checked
> > changes at the row level as opposed to the table level. But since it
> > doesn't and besides the output won't contain all the old deleted
> > stuff, export is not an option.
> >
> > Is there a clever way to use archive logs or *whatever* to simply get
> > a file containing insert statements that can be ftp'd over to the
> > offline system?
>
> Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look into log replication.
>
> Apply the redo logs from your production database to the stand-by.

Suggestion from Daniel (e.g. using logical stand-by) is ok, but there are more options. Very easy can be writing your own mini-logical standby, it can be done by simply automatising Log Miner to look in your redo logs for inserts done by your application user. It can save you lot of money, because this can be used even on SE (logical standby works only with EE).
Also in low intensity environment you can use some procedure spooling new rows using UTL_FILE to comma delimited files and load them to other system using SQL*Loader. You can select apropriate rows by timestamp mechanism or using triggers.
Best technology for you depends on your specific needs and you should decide this by yourself.

P.S. I've used few times in my post term stand-by, from 9i its now Data Guard. My sorry goes to all Oracle's marketing gurus, your heavy work with renaming features in Oracle will be surely appreciated after some releases. :-)

with regards

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.