Oracle-AIX installer Problem

From: A. Fuentes <alvarof2_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:51:12 GMT

Fellow Oracle Netters:

I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise Server in AIX 4.3.3.0. I download the images from the Oracle Site: ...Disk1.cpio.gz and ....Disk2.cpio.gz

I unziped and cpio-ed them, so I have all the files and Directories needed, in /oracle/Disk1 and /oracle/Disk2.

I have prepared AIX with all the requirements listed, I have plenty of disk space, and RAM.

I run the installer and complete all the questions-entries and starts installing, and
after a while it asks for "Disk2", I type /oracle/Disk2, and the installer keeps asking
this no matter what I type.

Also I tried a second approach, I burned the Disk2 image in a CD and mount it so I start the installer from
/oracle/Disk1 and then when the installer asks for Disk2, I typed
/cdrom/Disk2

(the /dev/cd0 previously mounted in /cdrom) and the same happens, the installer
keeps asking the same question.

I checked the directories permissions of /oracle/Disk1,2 and /cdrom and are fine,
all can read, and oracle8:dba owns them (same user running the installer)

Is this a bug in the java-based Oracle installer? Is there a practical way to get around this?

Any suggestions/ideas/comments will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

  1. Fuentes 512-297-9937