Crystal reports, synonyms, views and Security

From: Simon Dobner <sdobner_at_scu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:36:34 +1100

I have an application which has a security layer of which a part is made of roles and synonyms.

Synonyms are created in each users schema, these synonyms point to views which sit on top of the real table.

When a user selects from table tab_1 he is really selecting from synonym tab_1 which points to view tab_1_nn which sits on top of table tab_1.

A user can only select from 'tab_1', not 'owner.tab_1'

Some persons here wish to use Crystal Reports to query the database. Crystal Reports appears to insist on prefixing all tables with the table owner in it's generated SQL- ie all reports select from owner.tab_1

This means that unless the user who actually wrote the report is the one running it, it will fail with an ORA-00942.

I know that you can manually edit the SQL in the 'view Database SQL' function, but any changes are overwritten every time the report changes, and my users are not real happy about having to do it anyway.

The currently (user) proposed solution is to give every user the owner password (they are all very trustworthy they tell me)

I'm hoping that someone out there has encountered this problem and solved it in a DBA approved way ?

We are currently on Crystal v7, but could upgrade to 8 or 8.5

TIA Simon.

--
Simon Dobner
Oracle Database Administrator