Re: Oracle-Linux News

From: Jeremy Smith <alceste_at_xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:26:06 +0000 (UTC)

> I'm sure most people have never actually sat down and read an Oracle
> license agreement, myself included, but I was informed by Oracle today
> that the license agreement for Oracle on Linux specifically includes
> support for Red Hat Linux. A TAR can be opened for issues related to
> both the database and the operating system.

One key here, I believe, is that it includes support for _only_ Redhat Linux Advanced Server, Redhat's offering that includes commercial support, kernel tweaks specifically for Oracle and like software, and some tools for clustering, etc that are not available in the regular releases. It's also been much more heavily tested than most other Linux versions.

As far as I can tell from cursory examination, RedHat AS2.1 is essentially Redhat 7.2 plus the above enhancements.

This isn't a complaint, but people must be aware that they won't support any old downloaded-iso version of Redhat.

Likewise, I believe Redhat will help you with Oracle issues as well to the extent they can.

Jer Smith Received on Wed Feb 12 2003 - 15:26:06 CST