Re: starting Oracle from a account that has administrative privilege and a member of ora_dba group

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:10:04 +1100

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:41:57 +0100, Frank wrote:

> I have seen many installations of 8i, where sysdba had to be granted
> explicitly to sys and system - and there's no way to do that, other than
> using svrmgrl.

Interesting. SYS always has the SYSDBA privilege, right after database creation, and it definitely didn't/doesn't need to be granted explicitly.

SYSTEM, incidentally, never should have the SYSDBA privilege granted to him.

From time immemorial, any connection as SYSDBA (or INTERNAL in earlier versions) routed you through to the SYS schema anyway. That is, assuming you did the wrong thing and granted SYSDBA to SYSTEM, then if you did:

connect system/manager as sysdba
show user
SYS Or if you granted SYSDBA to Fred:
connect fred/blogs as sysdba
show user
SYS Which is why SYS doesn't need the explicit grant.

Regards
HJR