Re: Multiple instance with multiple version of Oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:07:31 +1100

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:37:23 +0000, Useko Netsumi wrote:

> First, would it be possible to run 2 Oracle instances with different
> version of Oracle(8i and 9i)?

On the same box? Yes. Presuming you mean 'can you have an 8i and a 9i *database* open on the same box at the same time?'

> If it possible, how do we go with the
> 'oracle:dba' account home directory?.

You will have different ORACLE_HOMEs, but one Oracle user and one dba group. Membership of the dba group will grant you privileged user access to both databases. If you want different people to be privileged on different databases, according to version, you'll need to implement password file authentication.

>Do we have to have 2 oracle account
> with group dba? Or, can we get away with one oracle account with the same
> home directory?
>
> Second, I just have to ask, can we run 1 oracle instances with 2 version
> of Oracle(9i & 8i) so I can create 9i DB as well 8i DB? Thanks

That question doesn't make sense. One database means one instance. Two databases mean two instances. Regardless of version. But if you mean 'can I create an 8i and a 9i database on the same box', the answer is yes... but that's the question you started out with anyway!

Perhaps I'm missing your point.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Feb 12 2003 - 11:07:31 CST