Re: Oracle 8i on Redahat 8

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:13:53 +1100

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:53:26 +0000, Helder Lopes wrote:

> Hello
> Has anyone installed Oracle 8i on Redhat 8??
>
> Is there any trouble with installation or with anything??

Yes. I have (see posts passim over the last four days or so).

There *are* 'problems', but they're well-known.

You need to set SEM as described in the installation documents (ie, cd /proc/sys/kernel, then echo 250 32000 100 128 > sem ...and you need to find a way to get that re-issued every time you boot the box, so an edit of rc.local is called for).

You need to set SHMMAX too. So an edit of /etc/sysctl.conf to add the line kernel.shmmax=1073741824 is required.

Otherwise, installation is as it ever was on SuSe, with one new quirk: the linking phase will error out at the 88% mark when it comes to linking ctx_lib, so when that happens, you edit $ORACLE_HOMEctx/lib/env_ctx.mk and down the bottom, you find a reference to INSO_LINK= blah blah blah. It's missing an item. Instead of it reading:

INSO_LINK =
-L$(CTXLIB) $(LDLIBFLAG)m $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_ca $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_fa etc etc

...you change it so it reads

INSO_LINK =
-L$(CTXLIB) $(LDLIBFLAG)m $(LDLIBFLAG)dl $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_ca $(LDLIBFLAG)sc_fa

Note the addition of $(LDLIBFLAH)dl in the middle there.

and it would be nice if I'd figured all of that out on my own, but I didn't: I visited Google.com and searched for the words 'low-hassle Oracle9'. You should get a result that links to a page on www.thomasfly.com, wherein all details are spelled out (though some of them don't make sense, and some don't apply). But with just those 3 specific steps to watch out for, installation is simple.

Regards
HJR Regards
HJR   Received on Tue Feb 11 2003 - 14:13:53 CST