Re: Oracle Server System Specs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:11:23 -0800

Michael Wisenbaker wrote:

> Hahahaha. My brevity indicates that I do not have the answers to your
> questions, if I had I would have provided that information in the
> first place. My question should be taken at face value. I wasn't
> looking for an exact answer, simply wondering what experiences others
> had with Oracle. Nor was I looking for advice on what my company
> should to in order to manage this "properly". I work for an
> institution of "higher education" and we do not have the funds to hire
> someone to pursue this full time. So, to reiterate my original
> question, and provide clarification: What do you run Oracle on?
>
> -Michael
>
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E48363A.A182ACB1_at_exesolutions.com>...
> > Michael Wisenbaker wrote:
> >
> > > I will shortly have the "pleasure" of installing and maintaining an
> > > Oracle server(linux based). We currently do not have any hardware on
> > > which to install Oracle. My question is what are the minumum specs I
> > > should be looking at? I've read the documentation on the Oracle
> > > website, but the only info in regards to system specs is the amount of
> > > RAM. So, what do you run Oracle on, how well does it run, and if you
> > > had your druthers what would you run it on?
> > >
> > > Apreciated,
> > >
> > > Michael
> >
> > Could you have provided less useful information?
> >
> > What version and edition of Oracle?
> > What are you going to do with it? 1 user or 100,000?
> > What are you going to do with it? Some reports using crystal reports or
> > run a 7x24x365 web site?
> > What are you going to do with it? 1MB of data or 1TB?
> > What are you going to do with it? SQL*Plus queries or thousands of Oracle
> > Financials?
> > What are you going to use it for? Developement, Testing, Production,
> > Training?
> >
> > And why oh why oh why would they ask you to it when it seems you have no
> > background in Oracle? Acting as a Linux SA and Oracle DBA is not trivial.
> > You have an opportunity here to make a huge mess. I strongly advise you to
> > have your management spend the required dollars to get someone to back you
> > up that knows enough to not be dangerous.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

And I head the Oracle Application Development Certificate program at the University of Washington so your turf is not unfamiliar.

I run Oracle on Win2K, Solaris, and HP/UX. You can obtain perfectly good working Sun Ultra 5s for about $500 and I just purchased another HP 9000 C180 with HP/UX 11 for $80 ... from eBay. Which keeps the cost substantially below that of a new PC even with Linux rather than Windows though Linux is a perfectly good environment for instruction and production.

If I can help you contact me off-line and put ORACLE in the subject.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Feb 11 2003 - 11:11:23 CST