Two Issues

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:49:39 -0000

Morning Howard,

(it must be *early* morning in Sydney !)

>> I *really* appreciated all that Norman. Cheers :-)
Welcome !

>> Ooops. I forgot about man. But man ulimit reminds me I am a Chelsea
>> supporter.

We won't go there - I don't do football on the grounds of being Scottish :o)

>> And anyway: who writes man pages? A dyslexic Professor of
>> Cunning at Fox University?

I believe that's the one - and I think he's also blind. Man pages are bloody awful, however, under KDE and using Konqueror, I believe you can type in man:something and have a nicely formatted man page displayed in the browser, rather than having to try to decode the flashing multi coloured text in the terminal window. (it could be man:something or man://something - I forget and I'm nowhere near a Linux box !)

<SNIP stuff about blackdown>
One of our developers here wanted to see if we could run our application on Linux, so he installed it, and Oracle 9.0.1 - he didn't install Blackdown or any other Java, just the stuff that came with the Linux. If I remember correctly it was probably Red Hat 7.x but I'm not sure.

<SNIP>
>> But, the good news is that pre-creating a 'General' database, I no
longer
>> get the segmentation fault I was getting when trying to connect to
the
>> pre-existing database.

Yippee !

<SNIP>But now I'm confused, because the doco. says Blackdown is
>> needed for the http server; and without Blackdown, I don't know what
>> set JAVA_HOME to: I'm guessing /usr/bin/java at the moment.
Probably /usr/bin/java - it's what comes up as the default for an Oracle 9i install anyway, and I've always accepted it. Check it and see if there's anything in there I suppose.

>> I'm also now getting that old familiar feeling of a 'dirty install',
so
>> familiar to Windows users after installing something that makes a
billion
>> changes to one's registry.

No registry in Linux :o) Loads of filenames with leading dots though, all over the place ......

>> I'm still encountering odd problems (such as
>> setting preferred credentials in EM for the node and the database...
and
>> them disappearing on me the minute I click OK),
I've had that in Windows myself - but then I stopped using EM on the grounds of Java :o)

>> But I have two databases, EM mostly working, and I might just leave
it at
>> that. On the other hand, I feel Google beckoning!
Google is a wonderful place. Run on a myriad of Linux boxes of course. The problem is, getting the query correct !

>> Thanks again Norman for the hand-holding.
Welcome again.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar