Re: Intriguing server connection problems on Windows 2000

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:50:48 GMT

I GOT IT! I recently removed ZoneAlarm from the autostart folder, nevertheless it is still acting up in *some* way.
Since it was not active at installation time, it never gave me a chance to authorize certain executables, like the RDBMS kernel or the TNSLSNR. Now, believe it or not, although it is not running, it is still preventing certain executables from accessing the network, until you explicitly authorize them.
I found a user on a tech forum reporting an error with TRACERT (the same I encountered) and it turned out to be ZoneAlarm's "fault". This happens apparently because ZoneAlarm installs a service called TrueVector Internet Monitor that is running at automatically upon startup, even if the main firewall executable is shut down.

Good, now I can start tampering with the Oracle Homes again...

Thanks anyway,
Flavio Received on Tue Feb 11 2003 - 08:50:48 CST