9i Replication & Firewall Policy

From: Michael VanDercreek <michael_at_vandercreek.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:15:34 GMT

Hello All,

I am trying to create a Oracle 9i Advanced Replication environment that spans multiple firewalled networks. The goal is to have a Single Master that can push to and pull from multiple Targets (via Materialized Views). The firewall policies will allow TCP port 1521 from the Master to the Targets but not vice versa. Therefore all sessions will need to be initiated from the Master Site.

==> target_site_1.lookup_table (read only)

                             //
master_site.lookup_table  >==  (push)
                             \\

==> target_site_2.lookup_table (read only)
target_site_1.results_table_1 >== \\ (pull) ==> master_site.results_table_all //

target_site_2.results_table_2 >==

My team and I have created a test lab that simulates the production network architecture. From our initial tests it appears the Master is sending update advertisements to the Targets and in turn they are attempting to pull the updates. Of course this fails due to the firewall policy.

Is it possible to force all replication to take place through Master site initiated traffic?

Thanks in advance!

Namaste,
Michael Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 17:15:34 CST