Re: Newbie Question, Please help!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:25:39 +1100

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:41:48 +0000, Frank wrote:

> Wow that's easy, is there any way that you can run this per tablespace? Or
> do you pretty much just run it against the instance and it works for all the
> tablespaces in the instance. The reason i ask is because this is the way
> they worded it:
>
> 1. Log off every user in the program.
> 2. Run the following validation against all tablespaces in the Program
> instance
>
> declare
> begin
> validate_dependencies_all;
> end;
> /
>
> So they mean run it against the instance right? Or is there some special way
> you have to run it against each tablespace.. I don't know, i'm just a
> newbie. :( Thanks
>
> Frank

There's no answer to this question, Frank. What is 'validate_dependencies_all'? Well, it's a package or a procedure or a function, that's for sure. But what's actually *in* it?

Who can say? You might doing a 'desc validate_dependencies_all' at the SQL Plus command prompt, to see if it takes any arguments. Maybe tablespace_name is one of them.

What's that procedure actually do? God knows. It's not one of Oracle's, so you are at the mercy of whatever the developer who coded it thought it should do.

Why don't you just type in the commands exactly as Daniel indicated, and see what happens? Post the output if its small enough )or a part thereof if its not) and maybe we can see what it's actually doing. What I'm getting at is that who on Earth knows what 'validating a tablespace' means? It's an essentially meaningless concept, unless we can see what the original developer thought it should mean (is it measuring free space? Is it finding tables which would be unable to extend in the near future? Is it calculating statistics for every table? Or what??)

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 16:25:39 CST