Re: Total oracle newbie

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:33:37 +1100

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:55:17 +0000, Jeff wrote:

> In article <BfY0a.42930$jM5.108466_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Rather than the O/S, what you want is to avoid like the plague any
>>instructor who starts plodding through the course material, rather than
>>telling it like it is.

> Well, that's a real trick, isn't it? Especially for a newbie.
>
> "Uh, excuse me, I know practically nothing about Oracle, but I think you're
> following the course material too closely. Could you either tell it like it
> is or bring in another instructor?" ;-)

Well, when ringing up to purchase the training, ask the salesman 'do you have more than one DBA instructor at your training centre/site?' If no, you don't have a lot of choice. But if yes, ask the next question 'could you tell me the assessment averages for each of your DBA instructors for the last quarter?' And go for the instructor with the highest average.

Or ask 'would it be possible to see some of the previous students' comments about each instructor?' When there's a plodder doing the training, prior students are usually quick to comment on it.

Since you're about to be parting with several thousand dollars, there should be no harm in assessing the quality of the training staff in this way, and making it clear you want to go to a course taught by the best they've got.

It's also been known for a student to sign up to a course taking a chance on who they will eventually get as an instructor, and staying in the training room until the first morning tea; at which point you approach the training centre administrative staff making it clear you wish to leave and come back on a day when the current instructor is not teaching. And if that seems too rude, develop a diplomatic migraine: you don't forfeit your money.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 12:33:37 CST