Re: simple question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:53:31 -0800

Paul Riemerman wrote:

> I just got and installed Oracle 9i. I can not figure out what user name it
> wants me to use to connect with the database. When I use a system username
> (running on Windows Server 2003) and the password I created when I installed
> the program it says there is no such user/password combination. Running
> through the help files does not provide an answer, so I'm guessing the
> solution must be an easy one.
>
> Paul Riemerman

log on as:

/ AS SYSDBA then:

SELECT tablespace_name
FROM dba_tablespaces;

keep that list of tablespaces handy while:

CREATE USER <user_name>
IDENTIFIED BY <password>
DEFAULT TABLESPACE <fill in from list generated above but don't use SYSTEM, RBS, UNDO or TEMP>
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp
QUOTA UNLIMITED ON <name of default tablespace name>;

GRANT create session TO <user_name>;
GRANT create table TO <user_name>;
GRANT create view TO <user_name>;
etc.

Or go with the default roles like CONNECT, RESOURCE, and DBA.

You should do nothing else as SYS or SYSTEM except backups and maintenance.

Then connect as the new user:

SQL> conn <user_name>/<password>@instance_name

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 11:53:31 CST