Re: ORA 600 on Oracle 9.2.0

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:40:20 -0800

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E46E269.561B15AD_at_exesolutions.com>...
> > Senthil Ramanujam wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Environment: Oracle 9.2.0 for Solaris8/WindowsNT
> > >
> > > I am trying to execute the following query and getting ORA-600 back. I know
> > > i will have to contact Oracle support, but someone can verify this query
> > > please. Its failing on my Solaris8, as well as on my WindowsNT box.
> > > appreciate your help.
>
> > > SQL> connect / as sysdba
> > > Connected.
> > > SQL> select * from v$version;
> > >
> > > BANNER
> > > Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
> > > PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
> > > CORE 9.2.0.1.0 Production
> > > TNS for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
> > > NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
> > >
> > > 5 rows selected.
> > >
> > > SQL> select file_name, phyrds, phywrts from dba_temp_files, v$tempstat where
> > > file_id = file#;
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [ktfthcf-1], [1022], [], [], [],
> > > [],
> > > [], []
> > >
> > > no rows selected
> > >
> > > SQL>
> >
> > Nothing you are doing is directly responsible for ORA-00600. This is an
> > unhandled internal Oracle error. Open an iTAR at http://metalink.oracle.com
> > and get your money's worth on your support contract.
>
> I don't think so, Daniel. I'm getting exactly the same error with this
> query as well. However, when I've tried:
>
> select file_name, phyrds, phywrts from dba_temp_files, v$tempstat
> where trunc(file_id) = trunc(file#)
>
> it gave back a right answer and no ORA-0600. It's a strange strange
> world we're living in. Looks like some new nice bug is emerging here.
>
> --
>
> Dusan Bolek, Ing.
> Oracle team leader
>
> Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
> can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
> this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
> proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
> email.

This isn't subject to interpretation. The definition of an ORA-00600 is what it is. Here is a direct quote from http://tahiti.oracle.com

Oracle's extensive self-checking helps detect internal errors. Oracle uses the following catchall message for Oracle internal exceptions:

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [num], [], [],[],[],[]

An actual message might appear as follows:

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [1042], [3], [upilam], [], [], []

The message text can be followed by up to six arguments, which indicate the origin and attributes of the error. The first argument is the internal error number. Other arguments are various numbers, names, and character strings. Empty brackets may be ignored.

In addition to being returned to the user, internal errors are also written to the Alert file along with additional information about the event causing the message. The Alert file also lists any trace files that may have been generated because of an internal error. See the following sections for descriptions of the trace and alert files.

If you receive an ORA-00600 message, report it to Oracle Support Services.

Pay special attention to the last sentence.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 11:40:20 CST