Re: Totally Off-Topic (it's that Linux newbie again)

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:49:06 GMT

Norman Dunbar wrote:
> Hi Howard,
>
> interesting list of features !
>
> On the topic of 'going bust' they filed for 6 months protection under
> French law about two weeks ago :o(
>
> I might be tempted to try RedHat out at some point myself - seemed to
> work fine on my last Oracle course (O9i NFA). Mind you, I'll have to
> convince my wife now - I set her up an account so whe could 'learn Unix'
> and after 10 minutes she said 'can we get rid of Windows altogether now
> - this Linux thing has much better games !'
>
> Ah well - we try !
>
> Cheers,
> Norman.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146
>

>>PS. What makes RedHat 8 better than Mandrake 9 then ?

> It lacks some of Mandrake's nice 'features' (such as Windows partitions
> having their own icon on the desktop, or supermounting of CD-ROMS). It
> doesn't have such a nice SAMBA client tool as Mandrake, so (at the
> moment)
> connecting to Windows shares are a royal pain in the command line.
>
> <SNIP to get my OCR rating even higher !>

Interesting Howard, fortunatly I just downloaded both RH 8 and Mandrake 9 so I'll be able to give them a side-by-side comparison soon. Meant to do MDK 9 this weekend, tucked the cd's into my O'Reilly performance tuning book and promptly left them sitting on the help desk girls desk, so it'll have to wait I guess.

So far i have found SuSE, RH and Mandrake all extremely easy to work with, but if the three I'd have to say that Mandrake was the "quirkiest", and SuSE the most Oracle friendly, and your right, I DO wish they'd all standardize on a menu structure so things were always in the same place.

With our new T1 connection here I have been downloading some of the other distro's to try as well, but thats a "spare-time" thing, not a lot of that around right now! I do want to try an Oracle install on a debian   and a BSD flavour though. The dbaclick.com group has some pretty knowledgeable linux people there, and a nice forum layout if you care to have a look.

cheers & happy grep-ping! Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 09:49:06 CST