Re: Oracle 9i SQLDBA

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 10 Feb 2003 05:18:54 -0800

"Useko Netsumi" <usenets_at_nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<b229hi$186pps$1_at_ID-159205.news.dfncis.de>...
> I installed oracle 9i Enterprise sucessfully. Then I ran 'dbca' and create a
> 'multipurpose' database. It went fine.
>
> I log in as scott/tiger and system/manager and they log me in fine.
>
> But then, I'm having problem running the following:
>
> dbshut
> sqldba
> svrmgrl
> etc...
>
> What other things do I have to do to be able to start and stop the database
> manually?

It seems to me that your problems with dbstart/dbshut can be caused by not including your database in /etc/oratab (maybe /var/opt/oracle/oratab). There should be inside line like this:

MYSID:/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6:N

where first is SID of your DB, second its respective ORACLE_HOME and the last one is a flag if that database should be brought up at system boot time.

With regards

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.