Re: Newbie: bandwidth pb

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:41:19 +0000

kasour_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I have a Java GUI client application that accesses an Oracle DB
> (oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver). I have a problem of bandwidth as
> soon as there are 5 to 6 users using this appli from different PCs:
> the 64kbits is not enough and the response time is very slow (too much
> activity between the driver and the DB).
>
> My question are:
> - Which tool would be available to monitor the current traffic ?
> - Which solutions exist to reduce the bandwidth ?

Er.. Uh.. well.. how do you know it is bandwidth and in the same breath you ask for tools to monitor bandwidth?

Response time being slow is *not* indicative of excessive bandwidth. Usually that is one of the last options one would investigate. The first option usually being what is the SQL response?

If bandwidth is identified as the problem, then that can be addressed (in a fashion). You can for example remove the massive SQLs from the client and implement that as properly designed PL/SQL packages and reference cursors. The idea being to implement the SQL logic where it should be - in the database and not in the client.

Excessive bandwidth can also be a symptom of a poorly designed network. or maybe a bad router or incorrectly configured switch.

But before going to such a low level hunting for performance issues, I would rather start at the top - at application and database level and make sure that that works as it should. Because often it does not due to a lack of skills when it comes to dealing with client-server and Oracle.

--
Billy