Two Issues

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:44:30 -0000

Morning/Evening Howard,

>> 1. In Linux, what's a 'segmentation fault'?

segmentation fault n.
[Unix] 1. [techspeak] An error in which a running program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and core dumps with a segmentation violation error. This is often caused by improper usage of pointers in the source code, dereferencing a null pointer, or (in C) inadvertently using a non-pointer variable as a pointer. The classic example is:

   int i;
   scanf ("%d", i); /* should have used &i */

2. To lose a train of thought or a line of reasoning. Also uttered as an exclamation at the point of befuddlement.

>> why do I get one (the story is I run emca, request to create a
repository in an existing database (which
>> does, and it's running), specify to log on as SYS, supply a service
name, click <next>.
>> Bang! I would like to know where to start diagnosing such a problem).

Could well be a programming problem, a Java RTL problem or perhaps, a ulimit limit. What do you get for ulimit -m? (or ulimit -a) which shows the amount of memory a process is allowed to have. It could be too small. You can use ulimit to set a limit but you can only set it up to the kernel configured limits. If you need more, reconfigure and rebuild the kernel. [Ahem, did you read the pre-installations docs !! (Sorry) :o) ]

>> 2. When in desperation I run emca and tell it to create a new
repository,
>> typical <SNIP> I get this error message:
>>
>> Invalid entry size (expected 143527936 but got 143527951 bytes)

I wonder if this is a reference to the size of memory that the process requires ?
Sorry, can't be more helpful here !

>> I had this exact same error message on Mandrake 9.0, but this is
Redhat
>> 8.0. How come my byte knickers are in a twist?

Mandrake is basically RedHat I believe.

>> Incidentally, I have to confess with some amazement that on my crappy
>> laptop, Oracle on Linux is running appreciably faster than it was on
>> Windows (same crappy laptop).
>> <SNIP>It's certainly going like the clappers here.

I managed to get my Windows setup running 9iR2 EE running like a fast thing simply by adding an extra 512 MB RAM. I've only got a 400 horse power processor at home, but the memory upgrade makes soooooooo much difference. I'm getting the download stuff for Unix so I can see how it goes on that. At work, I have a new 1700 horse power processor and 9iR2 EE runs like a dog in 256 MB.

>> Calling all Linux gurus!!

Sorry, you got me instead !

Cheers,
Norm.