Re: Oracle 9i SQLDBA

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:19:39 +1100

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:53:31 +0000, Useko Netsumi wrote:

> I installed oracle 9i Enterprise sucessfully. Then I ran 'dbca' and create a
> 'multipurpose' database. It went fine.
>
> I log in as scott/tiger and system/manager and they log me in fine.
>
> But then, I'm having problem running the following:
>
> dbshut
> sqldba
> svrmgrl
> etc...

dbshut must be some kind of script. I can't see why you don't just issue the SQL command 'shutdown [normal|transactional|immediate|abort]. It's not that many more keystrokes.

But I wonder whether you are trying to shut down whilst connected as Scott or System: if so, forget it. They aren't privileged users, and can't do shutdowns. Ever.

Sqldba is ancient, and has long since gone. Forget it.

Server Manager is long since gone. Forget it.

Etc. is a latin abbeviation for 'I won't tell you what else is going wrong so you can just guess'. Latin has long since gone. Forget it.

> What other things do I have to do to be able to start and stop the database
> manually?

Sod all, really. It would help if we could guess your O/S and your platform, but in general, just set ORACLE_SID, connect as a privileged user, and issue the startup or shutdown commands.

> Since I can't shutdown the db, I rebooted the server but unfortunately I
> can't bring up the database by running 'dbstart'.

Definitely sounds like Unix/Linux.

> Does the 'dba' function has changed a lot since Oracle 7? Thanks.

Er, just a tad. Like, every tool you've ever used has been obsoleted and replaced with SQL Plus. And that's just for starters.

But Scott and System are just as restricted in what they can do as they ever were in 7: ie, they can't do privileged actions.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Feb 09 2003 - 20:19:39 CST