Re: SAME !!! ( Veritas & SUN) who has experiences with stripe unit size > 1 MB

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 08 Feb 2003 14:41:36 GMT

"vob" <ga_at_aol.com> wrote in news:b232av$anm$01$2_at_news.t-online.com and I quote:

> is it possible with Solaris 8 and Veritas 3.5 to have a stripe unit size
> > 1 MB
> and also max I/O Size > 1 MB

Probably yes, but the question is: why?

> We work with stripping over 10- 12 spindels , but the read /write rate
> per disk
> during sequential I/O is much smaller than on a single disk.

It's supposed to be smaller! If you're spreading the same quantity of I/Os across 10-12 spindles, the per-disk read/write rate WILL forcibly be smaller? It will only be larger if you INCREASE the I/O initiation rate. Which with sequential I/O (full table scans, I presume?) can only happen if you have more jobs starting them?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto