Re: [OT] mail

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 08 Feb 2003 18:04:05 +1100

 Billy> An OT question. Apologies in advance, but I'm hoping that  Billy> someone else running Oracle/Unix has solved a similar problem.

 Billy> I'm running various crons that checks logs (Oracle and  Billy> application) and mails that to me. Works great.

 Billy> However, mail reader (MS Outlook) is a problem. That is
 Billy> fixed. I can not change that. I need to have the logs send as
 Billy> attachments. Outlook's formatting of a plain text message
 Billy> sucks big time. With attachments, I can easily view them in
 Billy> Notepad or something else. (this cut and pasting of e-mail
 Billy> body to Notepad is driving me nutters - okay, more nutters
 Billy> than the usual nutter state I'm in)

 Billy> Using sh script and Unix mail command (not Perl or anything  Billy> else) to send the mail. How do you send attachments?

 Billy> I've constructed a raw e-mail with correct headers, mime types
 Billy> and mime boundaries. However, Unix mail "interferes" with that
 Billy> and a single blank line causes my headers to become part of
 Billy> the message body.

 Billy> Any ideas or solutions?

Hi Billy,

Two things I would try.

  1. Make OE think it doesn't know how to format the mail. Either a Content-tye: header or possibly encoding the mail with uuendoce or something similar might achieve this.
  2. There are some good command line mime tools availbable for unix as open source which can create a correctly formed mime message for you. One is metamail and I think the other is mimutil. You could use these in a shell script.

It is also possible the poor formatting OE does with the mail is because of the difference in end of line markers between unix and windows. You could try running your text through something like unix2dos before sending it and see if that improves the formatting.

Tim

--
Tim Cross