Help Please: I/O Balancing suggestion/input on SunFire 3800

From: Jim Hinze <jimh_at_teamvbs.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2003 15:42:28 -0800

We have a year old sunfire 3800 (4x750mhz) 8gb memory using 2 A5000 22x36GB towers. One is mirrored to another.

The folks who configured the disk arrays kind of turned it into spagetti. Some volumes are striped (0+1), some are stand alone, some grouped together, etc, etc.

So far we have one tablespace striped on 4 spindles, indexes the same. Archiving turned on striped across 2 spindles. System tablespace on one, tools temp, users on another, RBS by itself, and a big striped volume (5 spindles) for r-man hot backups.

Now, we are going to turn archiving off, we don't need that level of recoverability (I know it's a bad idea, but we can rebuild data with feed from another system).

We have 6 tables that are incredibly HOT and are lighting up the one tablespace array. I'm going to split it into 2 more. The core of the system processes data overnight (~1.5gb) and loads into tables that are very close to 4th order normal. The User interface has always been fast, but over the last 12 months, performance on the batch has been declining steadily.

My question is since I'm mirrored do I just want to use each of the 22 disks individually or stripe across some, leave others individual, or all in groups.

For I/O weight on the datafiles, redo, temp, user, tools, RBS, system make up about 2% of all I/O. Indexes are about 25%-30%.

We see a lot of I/O wait and buffer waits.

My thoughts were to split as such:

tablespace 1 : striped across 3 disks

tablespace 2 : striped across 3 disks

tablespace 3 : striped across 2 disks

tablespace 4 : striped across 4 disks

     index 1 : striped across 2 disks

     index 2 : striped across 2 disks

RBS & filesystem (ora bins): striped across 3 disks

System, temp, tools, user, redo 2: striped across 3 disks

Oracle binaries + redo 1: stand alone on 1 disk

Does this seem reasonable? Received on Fri Feb 07 2003 - 17:42:28 CST