ODBC multithreaded processing

From: buckeye234 <member13594_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:24:29 +0000

Is any one using Oracle, we are using 8.1.7.4, but I don't imagine the version is so important here, and ODBC in a multi-threaded configuration.

I am not talking about multi-threaded server, but the ODBC process is multi-threaded and has more than one connection to the database. We have an application server, NT2000, and the application processes connect to the Oracle Database (8.1.7.4 on AIX 4.3.3) through ODBC. One of the applciation process opens twelve threads (connections) to the database. This single process, and it's twelve threads, service 400-500 users.

We have a problem with this configuration. Oracle has identified that it is a bug and there is a fix. The problem is, the vendor is making a wholesale claim that the drivers are not thread-safe. Of course, Oracle says they are.

I am sure other companies are multi-threading ODBC connections without problem. If you are doing this, please let me know.

If you have any question, please ask them. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Patrick.