how to actually enable/disable INDEX usage...

From: Giovanni Azua <bravegag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:42:19 +0100

Hello all,

I created a batch process that first populates batch INSERTs several [time serie] tables and afterwards execute an additional batch for updating those tables (too inefficient doing all from the insert) so for achieving the UPDATEs I really need an updated index working on some fields. The problem is that I need to really disable the index before the batch INSERTs and enable & rebuild it just before the UPDATEs also avoiding an intermediate commit as side effect like e.g. when using the DDL "EXECUTE IMMEDIATE CREATE INDEX" approach...

I found that the ALTER INDEX ENABLE / DISABLE can only be used with Intermedia/Text indexes (CONTEXT) but not with ordinary or FB indexes. I also tried marking the index as UNUSABLE but that makes the initial INSERTs to fail.

Can anyone give advise?

TIA,
Best Regards,
Giovanni Received on Fri Feb 07 2003 - 04:42:19 CST