Re: CBO and hash_area_size

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:24:15 -0000

I believe it's supposed to.
There is a factor involved in the costing which includes the fact that the hash table will have to be partitioned and dumped to disc (I also think the performance tuning guide is incorrect - or at least too simplistic - about how this factor is used).

It might be quite informative to repeat the experiment with a 10053 trace to see what the optimizer thinks the hash join partition sizing looks like - and even a 10104 trace with 10046,level 8 trace to see the exact timing of the steps.

What do the two plans look like ?

Is it possible that most of the difference in time actually appeared at a later point in the query ?

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<20030206223938.679$Cd_at_newsreader.com>...