Re: RedHat 7.3, Netscape and downloaded 9i *.gz files

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2003 21:36:26 -0800

TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:<7nl54vc85a9ho8n0ni9mmv3cfudtnulbt4_at_4ax.com>...
> You could also use gunzip to 'unzip' it directly..It is available in most Linux installs, AFAIK..
>
> ( if the Orig posting had some reason why this did not work, sorry, but this is the only part of the thread I see)

My original post.

<Flame>

Downloaded all three 9iR2 gzipped install files for Linux from OTN yesterday. Tried to gunzip them today to begin installation and bam... ran into "invalid compressed data--format violated" on all three files. I tried both the tricks as documented.. 1) gunzip, if problems then maybe files are already inflated with .gz extension by mistake. Directly goto step 2) cpio -idmv < <Zip Arch>. Same result.

Ftp'd them to my Laptop to see if Winzip may resolve it...same error. Ftp'd them to an HP box and tried gunzip there...same error. Searched googles to see if anyone ran into this before... only post I have seen so far (Which may relate to my problem) is that "do not use Netscape to download"... it may download the files in ascii mode and I did use Netscape (installed on the pre-configured Linux server) to download these files.

Now I am downloading the files on my laptop using IE. Will ftp them over to Linux server tomorrow to see if that was the problem.

And I always thought...Netscape is a good product.. they are just being bullied by M$. -:)

<End flame>

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Feb 06 2003 - 23:36:26 CST