Re: Looking for Statspack documentation

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:06:54 -0000

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:1efdad5b.0302060916.354b850d_at_posting.google.com...
> So I take it anytime I see something by Niemic, I should take it with
> a grain of salt. Alot of people hate his performance tuning book and
> now that I have read several others I see the weaknesses.

That is putting words into my mouth that aren't quite there. Anyone can make errors, and people can say things ineffectively. See my comment about execute immediate in another thread for examples of this :( . As it happens I don't think that the article is terrible, but I do think it is unclear and in places not apparently well thought out. I'd hate people to think that it is about personality, its about clear , substantiated best practice. To that end take 'anything' you read by anyone with that pinch of salt. this is a pretty good approach.

I'll give you another example

There are two well known names, whom I believe take contradictory views on the desirability of Automatic Segment Space Management in 9i. Who is right - I don't know, but it ought to be possible to set up valid tests in your environment to see if ASSM gives better or worse results than setting your own freelists and freelist groups. What would undoubtedly be a bad approach would be to say ' Ah but <insert recognised name here> says <insert oracle resource here> that ASSM is universally bad/good'.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

of course anytime you see something by litchfield make sure you take it with
a large portion of NaCl