PL/SQL Package Execution Privileges

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:44:36 -0000

If I'm not mistaken :

User B wants to be able to change the password for another user, and you don't want to give user b the privs to do so ?

If so, write a 'system' owned proc to change the password for a given user such as :

create or replace procedure SysChangePassword(pUserName in varchar2(whatever), pPassWord in Varchar2(whatever)) as begin

Give user b execute permissions on the above and all will be well because when user b executes the proc it executes with system's privs (definer rights not invoker) so system is able to change the password.

Note, you really really really need to trap attempts to change the password for SYS, SYSTEM and all the rest otherwise you will be in deep stuff at some point. :o)

HTH Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator