Re: exp character set, Oracle 9i win 2000

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2003 17:46:53 -0800

Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3E4158E7.2000903_at_netscape.net>...
> Spacchiubet wrote:
> >>set the NLS_LANG environment variable prior to calling export
> >

> > Can you tell me the correct syntaxt to do it?
> > thank you very much :)
> >
> > Fabio
> >

> DOS:> set NLS_LANG=.WE8ISO8859P1
> DOS:> exp system/manager .....
>
> or change it in the registry, if you want it permanent.
>
> Beats me why you want it in a different charset, tho.
> It is best to use the database char set on the client as well.
> Same holds true for the import process.
> Even if it is a completely different one that you started off with,
> it will NOT do any character conversions. And that makes most
> puppies happy...
>
> Frank

All,

I've noticed that the default character set setting (nls_lang) changed for a windows client from
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 in 8.1.7 to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 in 9.2.

I'd like to solicit people's opinions on whether its better to dumb down the 9.2 clients - alter their registry entry to WE8ISO8859P1 - or to plan on changing the database character set to WE8MSWIN1252 when we migrate from 8.1.7 to 9.2.

I was planning on exp/imp for most databases anyway, so that is not a big deal - except for a few larger databases that would likely be upgraded intact (ouch).

thanks in advance,

Paul Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 19:46:53 CST