Re: memory each instance is using

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:57:55 -0800

Steve Timko wrote:

> Ok, so what if you have several gigs of mem on a server with a few cpus
> that can easily handle a dozen or so instances for different
> purposes/projects?
>
> TCO?? 1-2 redundant brain boxes -- 20-30 small servers
>
> I'm am not a sr DBA by anymeans, however I need to say this has been
> working very well for us.. I'm interested in others thoughts to this
> setup? This is just development work.
>
> -s
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> > On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:13:14 GMT, Steve Timko <steve_at_timko.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm open for better ways of doing this type of setup?
> >

> > Sure, get a seperate development and qa server.
> > The Oracle guideline is that the sum of all sga's shouldn't use more
> > than one third of physical RAM. In your case I wouldn't be surprised
> > if your server went pooooooooffffffff all of a sudden
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Then you create separate schemas for each application. Put their tables and indexes into separate tablespaces for purposes of backup and recovery. You do your maintenance work evenings and weekends when it can not be done during business hours. And you tell management to stop overbuying hardware and expecting you to make a huge mess while waiting for, as Sybrand says, Poooof!

From the sounds of what you are doing I'd bet most of it doesn't need a server at all but could be hosted quite easily on cheap Intel boxes running Linux or on Sun Ultra 5s that can be purchased for about $500 each.

Either way ... you are presiding over a disaster and I'd be revising my resume' or preparing for damage control when it all goes very wrong.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:57:55 CST