Alert !!!! Oracle export through pipes and compressions !!!!!

From: BN.Sarma <bsarma_at_basit.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2003 10:37:29 -0800

Greetings,

Oracle Release 9.0.1.0.0 EE and IBM RS6000 AIX 4.3.3 64bit

I have written a shell script to perform export and compress (gzip) trhough pipes. Never seen any problems reported during export or during compression.

The ungizpped .dmp files are 90 to 120 MB in size.

But when I tried to import after gzip -d, all my export .dmp files were reporting errors. Finally I couldn't get to import. I opened a TAR with oracle
to help me, here is their answer:

gzip version:
gzip -h
gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)

I tried importing different days file, each file gave different error message.
I even tried fromuser and touser as system same problems. I tried importing tables= <list of a few tables>, no use.

Error1:
Export file created by EXPORT:V09.00.01 via conventional path Warning: the objects were exported by XXXX, not by you import done in US7ASCII character set and UTF8 NCHAR character set

IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1882 encountered
ORA-01882: timezone region not found
IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file

Error2:
IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file
IMP-00020: long column too large for column buffer size (2) Import terminated successfully with warnings.

Error3:
IMP-00037: Character set marker unknown
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

<< Please test the same export/import without compression/uncompressing dump file.You could export to multiple files in 9i, instead of compressing one large export dump file and avoiding possible issues with OS utilities.

If the same errors you previously listed IIMP-00037: Character set marker unknown, or IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file
still reproduce with regular Oracle export dump file, then we could troubleshoot such issue.

When OS-specific utilities (compress, uncompress, gzip, etc.) are used on Oracle binary files , your files are at the mercy of the OS, and Oracle Support can not advice you on how to make those OS utilities not to corrupt binary files. >>>

If any of you ahve comeacross this type of problem and has a solution to recover the data from the .dmp file, I highly appreciate your suggestions.

Regards & Thanks
BN Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 12:37:29 CST