Re: database connectivity/tnsping problem

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:10:34 +0100

B. Kloppt wrote:
> "JustAnotherDBA" <jadba_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<N8F%9.11098$sm3.10960_at_news.bellsouth.net>...
>

>>The tnsping utility simply tells you if an Oracle listener is listening. It
>>does not tell you if there is a database running on the server.
>>
>>So, the tnsping using an ip address IS doing Hostname Method of lookup and
>>IS finding an Oracle listener at that ip address .
>>
>>The tnsnames (Local Method) should work... if everything is coded correctly
>>(since you apparently have connectivity from the client to server - Hostname
>>method worked).
>>
>>Are you sure you coded the service_name correctly in the tnsnames.ora ?
>>What does your listener.ora look like on the server (192.168.2.25)? What
>>does your init.ora look like on the server (especially the service_name
>>parameter)?
>>
>>Note: You should not specify a default domain of world. Actually, a more
>>appropriate default domain would be domain.la (in LA) and domain.ny (in NY).
>>That way you could simply say connect to 'orcl' and it would find the one in
>>your local domain. To get to the other domain , you will always need to
>>specify/fully-qualify the other domain.
>>

> hi,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> i think the tnsping utility will tell me if there is a certain
> database running on the server, as long as it is _indeed_ running and
> the entry is found in tnsnames.ora.
> the tnsping utility will, however, fail if the pinged service/db does
> not exist.
>
> as for the coding of the service name in tnsnames.ora, i've checked
> that many times and it is indeed correct.
>
> here's what the listener.ora on the server (192.168.2.25) looks like:
> ---8<-------------------------------------------------------------
> # LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File:
> /opt/oracle/product/9i/network/admin/listener.ora
> # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
>
> LISTENER =
> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbserver.domain.la)(PORT =
> 1521))
> )
> )
> )
>
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/product/9i)
> (PROGRAM = extproc)
> )
> (SID_DESC =
> (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/product/9i)
> (SID_NAME = orcl)
> )
> )
>
> ---8<-------------------------------------------------------------
>

> and here is the /opt/oracle/product/9i/dbs/init.ora from the same
> server (comments omitted):
> [...]

Yes, but we cal only tell when you post the tnsnames.ora file from the workstation...
I am not sure if the section posted earlier was of the forementioned workstation. It should be altered, then:

ORCL.DOMAIN.LA
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.2.25)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA =
        (SID = ORCL)
      )

    )

Cheers, Frank Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 11:10:34 CST