Re: Oracle archive logging over a Windows NT share - does it work?

From: Konstantin Kudin <konstantin_kudin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2003 09:00:08 -0800

drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0302042216.10dc0092_at_posting.google.com>...
> konstantin_kudin_at_yahoo.com (Konstantin Kudin) wrote in message news:<ff88eb34.0302031410.64bc13fd_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi
> <snip>
> > In my system (Oracle 8.1.7 with NT4 sp6a) even if I map a drive on
>
> Hey - how goes the NT4 sp6a standby project on 8.1.7?
> Eventually, you will tire of all of the needless restraints imposed by
> NT4, most likely before you complete your project.

 I'll address this below.

> Did you check out the end of error correction notice on Metalink for
> 8.1.7 yet?
> Its for real. 31-Dec-2003, no more error correction, unless your CFO
> coughs up some major bucks for extended maintenance.

 That is true, I did check. After 12/31/2003 the support will cost $$$.
But this is way beyond my jurisdiction.

> You know - I ran across another real pain in the arse in NT4 today.
> The "move" command has different syntax between NT4 and W2K, so its
> not just "xcopy" that has wonderfully different syntax that causes you
> to need to keep separate source for NT4 and W2K. wonderful. I can't
> wait until those last 2 sites wipe NT4 off their boxes and I don't
> have to support NT 3.51 syntax anymore.

<snipped a description of access permissions in WinNT>

> On W2K - its far easier to configure services to use a specific OS
> account, or OS groups - to execute a job under. A "Domain Account" may
> be the way you want to pursue "Network Resources" in a "Domain
> environment".
>
> So buy some books that discuss security and NT/W2K system
> administration, throw NT4 out the door and migrate to W2K. And run
> your oracle services under a different account than local system.
>
> Onme more thing - when you "login" on a desktop/workstation/server -
> you are running under the context of the account that you logged in as
> - whether that is to a local machine, or to a domain. If you have not
> configured the services to run under a non-default account, they run
> as localsystem, which is not the account that you logged into the
> console as, it it?
>
> Ok - one last thing. Yes, I did implement a standby database between
> remote offices in NT4. It was truly a pain. It it far easier to do,
> far easier to support, in W2K. give up. migrate. and don't run the
> oracle services as localsystem.

 Paul

 As I've probably mentioned, at present time I have pretty much *0* influence with respect to migrating the system to W2k. If I could, I'd be already running the whole thing under Linux where all the little things are easy.

 I did notice that under NT4 there is a whole bunch of small things which are not that straightforward to do and thus add up really fast such that the whole thing becomes a big pain in the arse. For example, installing Oracle on P4 with NT4 is a bit trickier than with W2K, and a few more steps are required.

 What are the things related to Oracle which are easy under W2K but hard under NT4?

 Konstantin Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 11:00:08 CST