How to shrink undo space?

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2003 08:27:35 -0800

Dear experts,

I'm discovering that 9i is a lot different than 8i. The 9i database I inherited had the undo tablespace's datafiles set to autoextend. This is turned off now. But, the unix file system is now at 99%, and this is causing alerts.

In 8i, if the rollback tablespace was too big, for each rollback segment, you could just:
alter rollback segment x shrink
You could then resize the datafiles smaller.

But, in 9i, with undo, I get:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-30019: Illegal rollback Segment operation in Automatic Undo mode

If the parameter, undo_management, is set to MANUAL, is it possible to shrink use the shrink command, and then resize the datafiles?

Thanks Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 10:27:35 CST