ORA-12571: TNS packet writer failure on install (Oracle 9i r2 and XP Pro)

From: Craig FI <craigfil_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2003 05:00:43 -0800

Hi,

Apologies for what may be a common question, I have searched deja and google but not found anything (I can understand) that is directly applicable to the above problem.

I currently use SQL Server but wish to install Oracle 9i to familiarise myself with the product and to evaluate it for future projects.

The problem is, when I install the Oracle 9i release 2 Personal Edition on my XP Pro desktop, it tries to install the Cofiguration Assistant but fails with the following error:

ORA-12571: TNS packet writer failure

Likewise running the config assistant to create a database results in the same error. I am a _total_ novice when it comes to Oracle and most of the information I have been able to find about the above error relates to Oracle 8 and goes right over my head.

HELP please :)

Thanks,
Craig Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 07:00:43 CST