Re: index rebuilding...

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 05 Feb 2003 11:49:57 GMT

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:b1oene$qt0$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk and I quote:

> Not entirely weird.

Ya reckon? :D

> It sounds like you have gone in with the
> semi-default 'ASS management' feature,
> which is not a feature of the LMT as such,
> but a feature to replace freelist management.

Straight forward "extent management uniform size 64K".

> space available per block. Oracle then uses
> the process ID to decide which space-management
> block you should use to find some space, and which

the "process ID"? Why on Earth?
I mean: fine, if it is a matter of finding a free extent, it can use whatever algorithm. But once a free extent of 16 blocks is allocated, why would it then have to allocate anywhere else other than after the segment header?

> block referenced in the space management block you
> should first try. Consequently, a single row in a
> newly created 16block table COULD end up in the
> last block of the table.

Similar to my case. I just created a table with 4 rows, in tablespace USERS. It ended up in an extent of 16 blocks (as expected), with a single data block in block 9 of the 16 blocks (totally flabbergasted by this one!). 50:50 split?

> session in turn. I think in your case you will see
> either the first 8 or second 8 blocks formatted (if you
> don't get something so weird as an unformatted gap,
> go for a 32 block table), and the block used then
> varying from session to session.

Is this to avoid the problem solved before by the FREELIST stuff? I mean, a "hash" using the process ID to decide which block in the extent the session will write to?

> In the case of the index - the root block is traditionally
> the block after the segment header block - so I think a
> special case is followed to format that block when
> the index is created, whatever the process id of the
> session that creates the index.

Yup, it goes to the first block after segment header.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto