Deferrable vs. Not-Deferrable Constraints

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:27:49 -0600

It seems to me that all constraints should be created as deferrable these days.

Of course, I would think we should also set them initially immediate too, in order to preserve the usual expected behavior, until at least more people (especially 3rd party apps) are aware constraints can be enforced (and cause errors) at commit time too .

I suppose 1 exception might be if you really want a unique index (for performance reasons?), then you might not want to use the deferrable option on the unique or primary key type constraints (since these type constraints don't generate unique indexes when using the deferrable option).

I am looking for any comments for why I would NOT want to ALWAYS use the deferrable option (to have the flexibility of deferring checking until commit time). Received on Tue Feb 04 2003 - 22:27:49 CST