8.1.6 to 8.1.7 JServer upgrade - very slow

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 4 Feb 2003 16:42:14 -0800

I need to upgrade 8.1.6 database to 8.1.7 to try to get rid of some nasty ORA-00600. This wouldn't be a problem but the application users Oracle JServer, so I need to upgrade this component as well.
The upgrade process is documented in Oracle8i Migration (page 7-31 Upgrading JServer) and several Metalink articles (for example, Note 161709.1). It works ... eventually.

The problem is that it is VERY SLOW, takes about 6 hours on lightly loaded Sun Solaris box with plenty of memory. Main upgrade script jvmu816.sql leaves numerous classes in INVALID state. The recommendation is to re-compile them by

ALTER JAVA CLASS "MyClass" RESOLVE;

This is the longest part. I've run it with "set timing on" - many classes need 20 - 80 seconds to be resolved.

Is there any way to speed up the process?
- May be, try to resolve them in some

particular order, something along the lines of $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql?
- May be, setting JAVA_POOL_SIZE to higher value will help?

Thanks,
Sev Received on Tue Feb 04 2003 - 18:42:14 CST