Re: Upgraded to EE, still no bitmap indexes

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:50:37 -0000

"tojo" <Tojo_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.18a9e59db22b47549896ef_at_news.t-online.de...
> Oracle 9i R2 on Win 2000 Server
>
> Hi,
>
> I did the following:
>
> - Installed Oracle 9i Standard Edition
> - Created a database
> - Upgraded Oracle 9i to Enterprise Edition (same home and all)
>
> everything is OK, I just can't create a bitmap index on the database:
>
> CREATE BITMAP INDEX IDX_CONVERSIONTYPE
> ON TBL_POWERCONVERSION_DC (CONVERSIONTYPE)
>
> Error message: ORA-00439:Function not activated: Bit-mapped indexes
>
> Anyone have an idea? Do I have to recreate the instance?

This is only half serious: Maybe a blessing in disguise!

I may well be bitter and twisted, but bitmap indexes have brought too much misery in my (admittedly limited) experience.

This is really an invitation to the experts to persuade me that all the old BMI problems are fixed in 9iR2, btw ;-)

Regards,
Paul Received on Tue Feb 04 2003 - 13:50:37 CST