Re: Oracel LISTEN on different PORTS ***

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:58:42 +0100

chan01 wrote:
> we configure the application on ports from 7000 to 7050, today all the
> application on those ports stop working, then we ran "lsof -i " will
> show you all the applications holding the ports. we found oracle is
> listen on these ports also. once we kill that porcess, the
> corresponding application start working. I check it is listen on port
> 1521 also.
> My question is:
> 1. Why its LISTN on different port.
> 2. Why it is cometing for port's 70xx
> 3. I saw 2 process are Listn on same port ( oracle, and my application
> ) can it be possible.
>
> Thanks.

  1. Designed that way - a Listener spawns a seperate process *) for each connection. That process communicates to the client on random ports. *) unless MTS is configured, or Connection Manager is used and configured to use only one or a few ports, or use_shared_socket is used.
  2. Random = take the next free port. Will eventually reach 70xx (and higher; will cycle thru unpriveleged ports)
  3. you saw it - must be possible, then.

Frank Received on Tue Feb 04 2003 - 13:58:42 CST