Re: index rebuilding...

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 04 Feb 2003 12:20:34 GMT

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in news:b1m6e30258f_at_drn.newsguy.com and I quote:

> OK, we have to put a stop to this immediately. The thought of Mogens
> Norgaard running around like King Arthur (which is where this analogy
> would get very quickly) just ain't pretty at all. :)

Gawd! The imagery!...... :)

> In any case, there are only a couple of people on the OakTable that I
> know of with access to the source code, and it's more than their job is
> worth to post details of it (or how it works) here. Sorry.

Thought so.

> Totally agree. I'd even take it one step further and ask does it really
> matter anyway (apart from being interesting theoretical stuff of
> course!)? Still, I must say the "discussion" between Don and HJR has
> put a smile on my face each time I read a new bit!

IMHO, it doesn't. We're getting into the sort of 10% of extra information that consumes 90% of our spare time. Diminishihg returns, yadda yadda. Not worth it unless there is a genuine interest in extracting the last bit of de-assembly via block dumps.

Besides, the Oracle dumps are not true dumps: they are interpreted. Which means we see off a block what Oracle wants us to see, period. Not exactly the same as a good ole A-bend hex dump...

Mind you, for my purposes, I'd rather have the Oracle dumps than the hex stuff, but there are tastes for everything!

Has anyone here tried to dump the first extent off a LMT, table with just one block of data, 64K uniform alloc, 4096 block size? Ie, 16 blocks/extent? Now, that was a surprise for me: Oracle takes an apparently weird choice as to which block gets data first! Weird, I tell you. :)

Now do the same for an index on that same table, same tablespace. One block of index only, before it splits. Weirder.

9r2, of course.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto