Re: 9i under NT and Linux

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2003 15:42:06 -0800

"Jean" <x_at_y.z> wrote in message news:<b1e5b1$t4n$1_at_news-reader12.wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello,
>
> I have installed 9i under Windows and Linux.
> I feel that it works slower under Linux. I have noticed a lot of disk I/O.
> Is there something to do to enhance IO opération or is it a Linux
> specificity ?
>
> Jean
>
> PS : I don't want a debate Win vs Linux ...

I read on pg 196 (Chapter 6, filesystems) in the text "Managing RAID on Linux" by Derek Vadala that mounting an ext2 filesystem with the attribute "-noatime" can be helpful.
See, ext2 marks each file's last update, write and access time. I see no point in tracking access time of oracle datafiles, control files and online redo logs.

# mount -o noatime /dev/sd2 /u01

If the filesystem is already mounted and has files on it, the following command can be used:

# chattr +A /u01/oradata/mydb

and

# chattr -R +A /u01/oradata/mydb/

I just picked up the book last night, so I haven't read the whole thing yet, but what I read under filesystems alone was worth the 40 USD to me.
Usually, I buy such books from bookpool.com at around 40% off - but I wanted that book immediately.

There may be sites online that cover the info in as much or more detail, but when it comes to having extremely impressive texts on my bookshelf above me in my cube - this one ranks very high up there ... and at 230 pp its a quick read.

Paul Received on Mon Feb 03 2003 - 17:42:06 CST