Re: index rebuilding...

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 03 Feb 2003 11:55:30 GMT

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in news:3E3D977E.D31B2DA0_at_exesolutions.com and I quote:

> Sounds to me like someone is going to be doing some block dumps pretty
> soon.
>
> Or at least I hope so. It would be great to have a definitive answer.

I'm afraid just block dumps won't be enough for this one. Source code would be needed, and fairly recent too. Maybe one of the "Danish round table" blokes will do it, they should have access to this.

Thing is: if you look at the definitions of B*tree and B+tree on the Net as well as on Knuth's books, they don't exactly match what is described in the Oracle literature, or what happens inside them old blocks. And then we have index key compression....

All that makes the Oracle implementation, IMHO, quite difficult to pigeon-hole.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto