ORA-1652 with autoextendable tablespace

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:46:00 +0100

Why is it that I get "ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace TEMP" even if I have one file in this tablespace set to autoextend?

The TEMP tablespace had 3 files 8 GB each when I first got this message. I reluctantly added one more file with 2 GB initial size, autoextendable up to 8 GB. But it did not grow a bit. And in my opinion more than 24 GB for TEMP is huge of the space used for pure data is comparable in size.

Of course, TEMP seems to be always full, but this is the way Oracle 8.1.7 works: It cleans up space only when necessary, as far as I know. Now, I will have to prove that the error is coming from a poorly written application. But since this application was developed by an external company, I will have to gather rock solid arguments.

So how can I investigate this question? According to my experience, applications demanding huge amount of space in TEMP are just erroneous.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Feb 02 2003 - 16:46:00 CST