Re: Oracle table snapshot

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:20:44 -0000

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:b1jqom$r0q$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> Good point about versions - yes,
> this trick will only work with 9.2.
> Although you can do something vaguely
> similar with 9.0 it's no more convenient
> than running 'create table as select'
> before running the tests, and then doing
> the UNION ALL of MINUSes.
>
> NB I don't LIKE flashback - but that doesn't
> mean I can't suggest it to someone else.
>

> --
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Coming soon a new one-day tutorial:
> Cost Based Optimisation
> (see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )
>
> ____UK_______March 19th
> ____USA_(FL)_May 2nd
>

> Next Seminar dates:
> (see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )
>
> ____USA_(CA, TX)_August
>

> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>

> Howard J. Rogers wrote in message ...
> >Hi Jonathan...
> >
> >Not only do you need 9, you actually need 9i R2 (correct me if I'm
> wrong)
> >because the 'as of' syntax only became available then.
> >
> >Nice to know incidentally that you like Flashback, albeit only in
> >development!
> >
> >Regards
> >HJR

OP asked if Oracle has a 'snapshot' facililty. If I wanted to be flippant, I'd suggest the the OP look at 'create snapshot'.
But if I wanted to actually do the job, I'd do CTAS and select the union all of the minuses, just as Jonathan suggests.

Regards,
Paul Received on Sun Feb 02 2003 - 14:20:44 CST