Re: A bit of Linux advice yet again??

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 02 Feb 2003 16:23:25 +1100

 Frank> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>> "Eric Parker" <Eric_Parker_spamless_at_btopenworld.com> wrote in
>> message news:b1g5m7$alm$1_at_helle.btinternet.com...
>>

>>> Howard What shell are you using ? .profile for bash, ksh, zsh
>>> and sh
>> I'm pretty certain its bash. Which is why I was slightly
>> gobsmacked that I

>> had to invoke .profile manually each time Regards

>> HJR

 Frank> <snip>!

 Frank> That whould have to be .bash_profile?

 Frank> Frank

Actually, bash will look for a number of different files in a certain order and stops with the first one it finds. I think the order is something like -

/etc/profile

~/.bash_profile
~/.bash_login
~/.profile

BUT it only looks for these files iff it is a login shell. Under X, unless your .xsession has the --login option set, all terminals (xterms et. al.) you open are opened as just a sub-shell of your X session and therefore not as a login shell (as you are already logged in).

Tim

--
Tim Cross