Re: LMT and DMT

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 00:03:05 +1000

"vbaskar" <member24112_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:2468993.1044093627_at_dbforums.com...

> What is the difference between LMT and DMT ?
>
> Which one is better ?
>
> and in 9i I COULD see everything as LMT only ? Why
>
> Rgds

Hi There,

A search of the google archives will give you a whole bunch of hits on this subject.

The Concepts and Administrator's manuals discusses this in some depth.

Basically DMT store extent and free space info in the data dictionary causing possible performance issues and stress on the dd, and extents can be of any size causing possible fragmentation problems.

LMT store extent info in a number of bitmap blocks within the datafiles themselves resulting in a stress free dd, faster allocation/deallocation of extents and can be configured with a uniform extent size resulting in no fragmentation issues.

LMT is better.

Cheers

Richard Received on Sat Feb 01 2003 - 08:03:05 CST