Re: How are you backing up your V,VLDB????

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2003 17:18:37 -0800

Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3E395391.632A26C1_at_peasland.com>...
> > However, you are right that backup in the VVLDB arena becomes another level
> > of problem - and Oracle is aware of it, and working on the problem. My
> > suggestion would be to architect for what you have now and can see in the
> > immediate future, and wait and see what the next 1-2 years brings.
>
> Unfortunately, we have the system architecture fine for what we have
> right now. But the immediate future means that we will be over 10TB in
> the next six months, and over 20TB in the next year or year and a half.
> This all assumes that we can put an infrastructure in place to handle
> the data volume.

This sounds so cool!

> In the end, none of this really answers my original question. Am I the
> only one who is building a database in the double digit terabyte range
> and is looking for a good solution to backing that database up?

I've only worked with regular sized databases, but I've seen some configurations as you describe (except without RMAN) take an order of magnitude longer to restore than to save. So I'm curious if you've seen such problems?

jg

--
@home is bogus.
I hate it when people ask how big a database I've worked on, as if