Re: 8.1.7.4 patchset question

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2003 16:33:04 -0800

Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<w5z_9.113685$Ui4.3085795_at_news1.telusplanet.net>...
> I am installing the patchset on a new oracle install on which I have no
> databases created yet, should the _system_trig_enabled=false be in the
> init.ora file before I run the catalog and catproc scripts for the 1st
> time?
>
> I assumed that since the database is created after the patch is applied
> that this is not neccesary, but the readme is a bit foggy on this, since
> it assumes that the patchset is being applied to an install that already
> has existing database(s) on it and doesnt specify if it is neccesary on
> a new install. All my other applications of this patch were on existing
> databases, so I have not had to deal with this issue yet.
>
> Also I read on a different thread when trying to find this out that
> there is an 8.1.7.4.5 patch? Looking on metalink the latest I can find
> is the same as I have from last summer.
>
> TIA
Glen,

No. You do not need to set that parameter during database creation, as there aren't any sys_triggers until after a developer or dba implements them - or after the java system has been built (at the end of a database create). You will also likely find an 8.1.7.4.6 patchset in searching metalink. This one is of particular interest, as it addresses Oracle Security Alert #42.

sys_at_TEST> select * From dba_triggers
  2 where owner like 'SYS%'
  3 and trigger_type like '%EVENT%'
  4 order by owner, trigger_type, triggering_event;

You'll find 2 triggers regarding the aurora$server and one regarding JIS$ROLE_TRIGGER$. With no java, you should get "no rows returned".

Paul Received on Fri Jan 31 2003 - 18:33:04 CST